Friday, April 29, 2011

Today I'm proud to be British

How can people not get caught up in all the royal wedding hoopla??  I don’t get how people can be so pessimistic over any wedding, let alone THIS wedding!!  They say it’s not a big deal, but obviously almost 1 million people who gathered for the wedding along the streets of Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace thought it was a big deal. 
I was almost 4 when Charles and Diana got married and I remember watching their wedding, which seemed to last for 4 days. I seriously think that might be my first memory ever. I’ve had such a crush on Prince William dating back to school days. He was always easily in my “Top 5.” Even still with his receding hairline, I'm so captivated by him. His smile and since of humor, his approachability so reminds me of his mother. He is the story-book Prince Charming.  My ancestry is Welsh so maybe it’s because of all these little things that factor into my enthusiasm over this day.
I love that Kate is a “commoner.” And by “commoner” they mean someone whose parents are millionaires and deserve more appreciation than most members of the royal family probably. The worst thing they can say about her mum is she chews gum? GASTLY!!
I love that Kate is a brunette and not a playmate type Charlie Sheen blonde "goddess." I love that she and William met at college and not by a royal arrangement. I love they’ve known each other for years, lived together, broke up and got back together. I think that shows they’ve been through rough times, realized nothing was worse than being separated from each other and were able to work through it. She seems to be able to handle the paparazzi with strength and grace.
I think Diana would have loved Kate once she got past the whole “someone’s taking my son away from me” thing all mothers of boys go through. Kate’s since of style is marvelous. I love her fascinators, especially that brown feathery one she wore a few years ago. I love her bright smile. I love she has normal nails. They aren’t fake acrylic. Did you notice that? She’s just so real and natural. I’m in awe of it all. I’m so proud today to originally be from Great Britain.
I tried to wake up in time to see the wedding live but just my situation with Skye I couldn’t. I have it DVRd though and cant wait to get home and watch it. I did catch the kiss though, or the kisses I should say. I think her wedding dress is perfect for the occasion but it’s not my style. I don’t like the long lace sleeves or the collar. I’m not a fan of lace. I did like the length of the train and her tiara though. She looked beautiful. And all the men in red looked like they were trying to make it a great show for HD viewers out there! WOW! Bright!!
And those hats were incredible!! (or toppers as the locals call them) My favorite that I’ve seen so far was this big silver sequenced one that sat on the side of the head but the other side was balanced with these big loopy swirly ribbon things of the same material. Gorgeous. Some were a bit too extreme for me but they were all beautiful. Not even the Kentucky Derby has seen the likes of toppers like these!! ?I was a bit disappointed in what Posh wore, but she gets a pass being pregnant and all. Mr. Beckham on the other hand always meets my expectations!! Hello!!
I would have loved to have been there. I’m sure Lady Diana would have too. Congrats to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. I cant wait to see what the future holds for you. Thank you for giving us a great love story and inviting us all to your incredibly romantic wedding.

2 comments:

  1. As I watched the wedding of William and Kate, I too remembered the wedding of Charles and Di. I too think Diana would be very proud of Wills and his lovely bride. Where Diana began to change the monarchy, I know Wills and Kate (and Harry too) will continue in her steps. Wasn't Di a wonderful gift to our world ... and so will be her daughter-in-law Kate. The woman who will some day be William's queen. Beautiful story we are watching unfold! Oh but I did love the lace. Just enough, not too much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like Pippa's dress though. And there was a pic of Kate at one of her receptions/after parties where she was wearing a white satin dress embelished with diamonds around the waist and a white furry shrug. That was pretty too. On a side note, I think if I ever get married I'm gonna the ladies to wear hats, at least my bridesmaids! (Their gonna hate me!! hehe)

    ReplyDelete